BOKU - Universität für Bodenkultur Wien - Forschungsinformationssystem

Logo BOKU-Forschungsportal

Gewählte Publikation:

Langergraber, G; Weissenbacher, N.
(2017): Survey on number and size distribution of treatment wetlands in Austria
WATER SCI TECHNOL. 2017; 75(10): 2309-2315. FullText FullText_BOKU

Abstract:
In Austria, 1,840 wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) with design size >50 population equivalent (PE) serve about 95% of the population. The remaining 5% of the population live in single houses and small settlements that require on site and decentralized wastewater treatment technologies. There is no common database on small WWTPs with design size <50 PE; thus data had to be collected from the Austrian federal states and compiled in a database. The total number of small WWTPs in Austria is about 28,700 comprising 1,300 WWTPs with design size 51-500 PE and 27,400 with design size <50 PE, respectively. The total number of treatment wetlands implemented in Austria is 5,450. Due to legal requirements (nitrification), only vertical flow wetlands are implemented in Austria. From the 5,450 treatment wetlands, about 100 are of design size larger than 50 PE and about 2,800 treatment wetlands have a design size of 5-10 PE. The peak of wetland implementation was in the years 20072011 with 2,200 implemented systems in 5 years. Since about 2000, about 30-40% of the new implemented small WWTPs are treatment wetlands.
Autor/innen der BOKU Wien:
Langergraber Günter
Weissenbacher Norbert
BOKU Gendermonitor:


Find related publications in this database (Keywords)
Austria
small wastewater treatment plants
vertical flow wetlands


Altmetric:
© BOKU Wien Impressum