University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) - Research portal

Logo BOKU Resarch Portal

Gewählte Master / Diploma Thesis:

Sophie Riemer (2023): Sorghumsauerteigtechnologie in Weizenbackwaren.
Master / Diploma Thesis - Institut für Lebensmitteltechnologie, BOKU-Universität für Bodenkultur, pp 88. UB BOKU obvsg

Data Source: ZID Abstracts
In this master thesis, wheat bakery products were supplemented with sorghum sourdoughs. In order to compensate the high gluten content of Austrian wheat due to climatic conditions, wheat recipes were supplemented with the gluten-free, heat- and drying-resistant grain sorghum. However, this had a negative effect on volume yield and pore structure, which is why sorghum sourdoughs used. Of the baked breads, the physical parameters of colour, specific bread volume, baking loss, crumb strength and porosity were measured. The focus was on the crumb strength, as well as the specific bread volume. The dough yield was a constant 175 in all recipes. The sourdough fermentation was varied with 3,6,9 and 18 hours, the acidification with 50, 62,5, 75, 80,25 and 100% of sorghum. The sorghum content of the breads was 20 or 40%, the remaining 80 or 60% were composed of wheat and a small amount of rye from the sourdough starter. Furthermore, sorghum sourdoughs were made from three different varieties (Armorik, Arsky and Ggolden), which were grown in Austria. Baking trials with spontaneous sourdoughs from the 2019 harvest were also carried out. This clearly showed that with short sourdough fermentation (3 hours) a high degree of acidification, and with long sourdough fermentation (18 hours) a lower degree of acidification, in this case 50% of the total sorghum content, led to a greater specific volume and lower crumb strength. Recipes with 20% sorghum as a supplement to wheat are well suited to familiarize consumers with sorghum, which is still unknown. Here, the selection of the right variety will be crucial to keep the sometimes bitter taste of sorghum low and to achieve a positive experience with sorghum for the European consumer. To optimize the crumb texture in sorghum sourdough bread, further research is needed, such as the addition of exopolysaccharide-forming lactic acid bacteria.

Beurteilende*r: Schönlechner Regine
1.Mitwirkender: Rumler Rubina

© BOKU Wien Imprint